ApologetiX in Florida, in Studio, in Iowa, in Cali
Fri., Jul. 20. 2001 1:24am EDT
J. Jackson, lead singer for ApologetiX (That Christian Parody Band) here.
Sorry that our e-mails have been so infrequent and low-calorie as far as information (not much meat to 'em) lately. We've been busy, busy, busy as the guy in Frosty the Snowman put it so well. Thanks for bearing with us! Thanks to all our Wisconsin pals who packed the place for two concerts at LiFest last weekend, too!
1.ApologetiX in Florida ... Plus J.'s Sister
2.Studio Update: The New CD
3.Keep the Change Song List (Clues #1 and 2)
4.ApologetiX at Creation 2000 ... See it on the Net
5.Happy Birthday to the Keiths
6.Other Upcoming Concerts (Pa., Calif., Iowa, and Beyond)
7.Update from Karl's Wife, Debbie
1. APOLOGETIX IN FLORIDA ... PLUS J.'s SISTER My sister Kristina just got her doctorate from Carnegie-Mellon University about a month ago (She worked on genetic mutations with fruit flies ˇ no lie), and she just got a job in Pensacola, FL, so she moved there from Pennsylvania (She was our dogsitter for the past year when we were gone on concerts, so we used to see her a lot) a week ago. Now, we're playing our first concert in Pensacola this weekend ... and it has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that she just moved there. Isn't God grand? If you want to see my sister in person ˇ not to mention the guys in the band ˇ come out and see us in Pensacola this Saturday, OK? We'd love to meet you all!
Sat., July 21 at 5:10 p.m.
Wright Street Stage
Baylen & Wright Street
Contact: Jackie Bell 850-469-1088
Next week we'll be in Clarion PA, Sioux City IA and San Diego CA. Check out the "Other Upcoming Concerts" section of this newsletter for more details!
2. STUDIO UPDATE: THE NEW CD
As I sit typing this e-mail to you, Karl (our guitarist/producer) and Bill (our drummer) are in the studio putting the finishing touches on the drum tracks for our upcoming CD, "Keep the Change," due out on September 25. Earlier this week, Karl was with our keyboard guru Bill Hubauer and our bass player, Keith Haynie, recording some of their parts. This CD will mark the first time we've been able to use our brand new Paris recording system, and Karl informs me that it is greatly simplifying and expediting the recording process and improving the overall quality of the recordings. Bill Hubauer has had one for years, and that helps, too! We had to invest quite a bit of money to get it, but it's something we've been saying we wanted to buy ever since we were recording "Jesus Christ Morningstar" in the fall of 1998. As usual, God provided the finances for what we needed, and once we finally got it, there was no doubt that it was well worth the investment.
3. "KEEP THE CHANGE" SONG LIST As we told you before, we're not going to just give you the song list for the new CD yet, because that would spoil the surprise. However, as we did with "Spoofernatural," we'd like to reward the folks who actually read these e-mail newsletters carefully and are willing to do a little detective work. So we'll give you clues as to the songs on the next CD, two songs per newsletter, just like last time. At long last, here are the first two clues:
This song is based on the scripture verse at the bottom of this e-mail. The original hit the pop charts in the '70's two times for the same band ˇ once as a studio version and once as a live version. I know a little about that band ˇ we've spoofed 'em once before and we're traveling to their home state this weekend, even though most people would think they came from a different state, based on their biggest hit. What's their name? You got that right?
We've been playing this parody in our concerts for a couple months now, and it's been getting a super response. Is it a Christmas song from the perspective of one of the wise men or is it an allegory from a modern believer who chooses to follow Christ? Any way you slice it, the message is pertinent year 'round. This song bulleted (it probably moved even faster than that) up the pop charts as well as the modern rock and the album-oriented rock charts in 2000, and it continues to be popular. Luther would have loved the original ... but we're not talking about Martin Luther.
4. APOLOGETIX AT CREATION 2000 ... SEE IT ON THE NET Hey, wanna see a classic ApologetiX concert on the Net? We just found out that the ApologetiX concert from Creation 2000 is available to view at the House of Blues webstite. www.hob.com It's in the concert archives. Enjoy!
5. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE KEITHS Happy belated birthday to our bass player, Keith (Insert Your New Name Here) Haynie. Keith celebrated the wee hours of his birthday with the rest of the band as we tried to make it back from two concerts at LiFest in Wisconsin. We ran into about six extra hours of traffic due to accidents, construction, etc., on the way back, and poor Keith, who has sleep apnea to begin with, got about one hour of sleep at home before he had to go to work on Monday. If you'd like to e-mail him with belated birthday greetings, you can send 'em to email@example.com. Please pray that we can bring him on full time soon, so he can have one full-time job instead of two. Please pray the same for our drummer, Bill, too! If my memory serves me correctly, any day now, it will also be the birthday of Keith Harrold, the ApologetiX official fill-in drummer, who also plays a few tracks on our upcoming CD, "Keep the Change." You can spot Keith Harrold in the leaning pose on the back of our "Jesus Christ Morningstar" CD. He's a sales rep for Word Records, and he also runs the bookstore at the annual Creation music festival. Happy birthday, Keith!
6. OTHER UPCOMING CONCERTS As usual, we've added more concerts to our ever-growing list, so make sure you check it carefully. Hope to see you at one of these concerts!
Wed., July 25 at 10 p.m.
RR1, Box 31
Emlenton, PA 16373
Contact: Pastor Jeff Miller 330-799-9988
Sat., July 28 7:05-8:30 p.m.
Sioux City IA
Contact: Kevin Gullings 712-239-5260
Sun., July 29 12:00-5:00 p.m. (2 or 3 sets)
Christian FamilyFest 2001
One Lego Drive
Carlsbad CA http://www.ChristianFamilyFest.com Info
Sat., Aug. 4, 7 p.m.
Midland Christian Church
1264 E. Isabella Road (M-20)
Midland MI 48640
Contact: Pastor Gary A. Cech, Sr.
Contact: Project Coordinator Ron Browne
Fri., Aug. 10 at 8:00 p.m.
Joyful Noise 2001
Tuscarawas County Fairgrounds
259 S. Tuscarawas Ave.
Dover OH 44622
Contact: Lisa Stilgenbauer 330-343-6011
Sat., Aug. 11 at 3:00 p.m. (Event runs 12:00-5:00 p.m.)
Youth Bash 2001
Contact: Barb Guest 740-699-2599 or 304-280-3792
Sat., Aug. 11 at 7:30 p.m.
Canal Fulton Christian Fellowship
2021 Locust Street
Canal Fulton, OH 44614
Contact: Jenice McKindree 330-855-1895
Sun., Aug. 12 at 7:00 p.m.
Thorn Creek United Methodist.Church
Contact: Tom Sullivan 724-352-3091
Fri., Aug. 17 at 8:00 p.m.
Carroll County Fairgrounds
106 Kenfington Rd.
NE Carrollton OH 44615
Contact: Barb Newell 330-735-2443
Sat., Aug. 18 12:00-2:30 p.m.
300 S. Syndusky
Bucyrus OH 44820
Contact: Barb Basore, chairperson 419-562-8908
Pastor Mike Cole 419-610-8728 (cell)
Sat. Aug. 18 at evening
(All day event but ApologetiX plays at night)
Spirit Train Music Festival
Sponsored by WORD-FM and South Hills Assembly of God
More details to come
Sun., Aug. 26 at 5:00 p.m.
Crossfire kick-off weekend
Christ United Methodist Church
3300 Austin Parkway
Sugar Land TX 77479
Contact: Julie Frazier 281-980-6888 ext. 304
Wed., Aug. 29 at 6:30 p.m.
First Christian Church
710 S. Zane Highway
Martins Ferry OH 43935
Contact: Rev. Saco 740-633-3615
Sat., Sept. 1 8:00-11:00 p.m.
Contact: Jim Schreiber 717-367-5326 (caf╚)
Sun., Sept. 2 at 6:00 p.m.
Uniontown High School,
Sat., Sept. 8 at 7:00 p.m.
Ohio United Presbyterian Church
Longview at Maratta Road
Aliquippa PA 15001
Contact: Patty Strominger 724-378-3690
Fri., Sept. 14 at 7:00 p.m.
A.T. Room Adrian College
Adrian MI 49221
Contact: Jenni Duranczyk 517-893-0056 (home)
Sat.. Sept. 15 at 6:00 p.m.
(See You at the Pole Rally)
(with Five Iron Frenzy, Reliant K, Smalltown Poets, John Reuben and Ace Troubleshooter)
Faith Evangelical Free Church
Sat., Sept. 22 at 7 p.m.
First Christian Church Freeman Lake
140 Freeman Lake Road
Elizabethtown KY 42702
Contact: Chris Kiger 270-765-4994 (Day),
Sat., Oct. 6 at 7:30 p.m.
Christian Publications/Cornerstone Chapel
620 Route 23 North
Pompton Plains NJ 07444
Contact: Emily Strunk 973-616-7080
Sat., Oct. 13 at 7:00 p.m. (Doors open at 6:00 p.m.)
Cup O' Joy Benefit Concert
Green Bay West High School
966 Shawano Ave.
Green Bay WI
Contact: Jan Oettinger 920-435-3269 (Cup O' Joy)
Tickets: $5 in advance plus freewill offering $6 or $7 at door
Fri., Oct. 19 at 7:00 p.m.
St. Mark's Lutheran Church
201 W. Jefferson St.
Butler PA 16001
Contact: Pastor Rich Leseganich 724-287-6741
Sat., Oct. 20 at 2:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m.
Baptist Convention of Pennsylvania and
Southern New Jersey Scarlet Cord Teen Center
150 Main St.
Contact: Tommy Rowe (Convention) 717-652-5856
Contact: Erik Lane (Scarlet Cord)
Sat., Oct. 20 at 8:00 p.m.
Scarlet Cord Teen Center
150 Main St.
Contact: Erik Lane (Scarlet Cord)
Fri., Oct. 26 at 9:00 p.m.
Common Ground Beautiful Savior Lutheran
5005 Northwest Blvd.
Plymouth MN 55442
Contact: Larry Deyoe 763-550-1000 ext. 106
Sat., Oct. 27 at 8:00 p.m.
Nebraska Church of God Retreat
Rock Haven Conv. & Retreat Center
76309 Road 415
Gothenburg NE 69138
Contact: Jason Johnson 402-486-3450
Sat., Nov. 10
White Oak TX
Fri., Nov. 16 at 7:00 p.m.
Poplar Bluff High School
1300 Victory Lane
Poplar Bluff MO 63901
Contact: Jim Hoyt, Cheerful Heart Ministries 573-778-0955
Sun., Dec. 30 at 7:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m.
NE Area Wesleyan Youth Convention
123 Queen St.
West Toronto, Ont. Canada
Contact: Rob MacCallum
7. UPDATE FROM KARL'S WIFE, DEBBIE "I'd like to take a minute to thank all the ApologetiX friends who have prayed for me in the past few weeks. A few days ago, I returned from Fort Worth, Texas, where I competed with our horse, Molly, in the 2001 World Championships. While we didn't come home with the glory we'd hoped for, we did come home victorious in other ways. This was Molly's first show ever (she's also only 3 years old), and we were completely amazed at her calmness to the incredible things we exposed her to while we were down there. We are very, very proud of her. Above all, though, I wanted to let everyone know how deeply I appreciate their prayers for my ankle. I was miraculously able to compete WITHOUT THE AID OF MY ANKLE BRACE for every one of my classes. I prayed about it a lot while I was down there, and took a leap of faith that nothing would happen while I was competing (I did wear it when I practiced). It's sore and swollen now (and will be spending some significant recovery time in the brace for the next week or two), but there wasn't any pain or stability issues while I was competing inside the show ring. Praise God!! Thank you from the bottom of my heart for the love and prayers. Our next competition is the first weekend of September, and the next large one is in Wichita, Kansas on December 2-9. If you get a chance, please visit the web page at: http://www.apologetix.com/deb/Pages/WSPreview/worldshow.html. There are pictures of us there from the World Championships. Thanks again! Deb Messner (wife of lead guitarist, Karl Messner)."
God bless you all! Thanks to all of you who take it upon yourselves to pray for us and to do it so fervently and sincerely. Let me assure you that we greatly appreciate that, and that is the very greatest thing you can do for us. Thank you so much!
-- J. Jackson Lead Singer/Lyricist ApologetiX (That Christian Parody Band) www.apologetix.com firstname.lastname@example.org
(Jesus said) "Are not five sparrows sold for two copper coins? And not one of them is forgotten before God. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows."