"Apol-acoustiX" Update: The Mystery of Mastering
Wed., Feb. 16. 2005 11:24am EST
Last week we sent 10 of the 12 tracks for our upcoming "Apol-acoustiX" CD to Nashville to be mastered. Tracks are already mixed when they're sent for mastering, but mastering isn't as simple as just pushing a button or two. It's a process that attempts to get the best sound quality possible out of a track. That's why you see all those albums released on CD that say they have been remastered.
Anyway, the person who does our mastering works on many other major projects, so his opinion means a lot to us. He not only twists the knobs, he listens to the tracks, does troubleshooting, and provides excellent feedback. Sometimes, he'll suggest subtle changes on a recording that can improve the sound quality a few extra percentage points, and every little bit counts. Then we'll tweak the original recording and send it back to him again to be mastered. Unfortunately, even little changes can take a lot of time.
Our producer, Karl Messner, has spent the last week implementing those changes and working on the final two tracks that still need sent to be mastered.
Two of our favorite tracks on "Apol-acoustiX" are "Yes Today" and the new version of "The Sounds of Silas." It was nice to hear that our mastering guy agreed:
"Basically, 'Sounds of Silas' and 'Yes Today' are fabulous! Wow. Those are nice recordings. I'm trying not to hurt them. 'Sounds of Silas' - Love it. 'Yes Today' - Yes oh yes! Great Job. Again, trust that I will not be doing much to this one."
Once the tracks are mastered, we send them to the duplicators (The artwork is already being printed), so you need to pre-order now to take advantage of the pre-order offer: $3 off plus a free bonus CD while supplies last! Please note: If you order "Apol-acoustiX" and/or "Isn't Wasn't Ain't (Director's Cut) along with other CDs your entire order will be shipped together when those two CD's are available, which enables us to keep your shipping cost down.
"Apol-acoustiX," features 12 acoustic parodies of some of the biggest names in rock and roll. Here's what's on it:
1. Talk About the Lord ((We're Gonna) Rock Around the Clock by Bill Haley & His Comets)
2. Don't Be Fooled (Don't Be Cruel by Elvis Presley)
3. The Sounds of Silas (The Sounds of Silence by Simon & Garfunkel)
4. We're Not Gonna Drown (When I Come Around by Green Day)
5. Mediterranean Wholebook News (Subterranean Homesick Blues by Bob Dylan)
6. Scripture (Picture by Kid Rock & Sheryl Crow)
7. Last Rain the Clouds Spill (Last Train to Clarksville by the Monkees)
8. Eight Ways to Be (Eight Days a Week by the Beatles)
9. More Than Works (More Than Words by Extreme)
10. The Trinity (Thank You by Led Zeppelin)
11. Two-Time Baby/Lord's House News (Love Me Two Times/Roadhouse Blues by the Doors)
12. Yes Today (Yesterday by the Beatles)
Pre-order "Apol-acoustiX" now and get $3 off the regular price and a free copy of our "Have Yourself a Parody Little Christmas" CD (while supplies last). Originally released in 2001, the Christmas CD features "Micah No. 5," "Late December 5 or 6 B.C. (O Holy Night)," "Santa Claus," "Hotel Can't Afford Ya," "Christmasnite" and "Manger." Since these songs are all now available on either "Keep the Change" or "New & Used Hits," we are discontinuing the Christmas CD, so it's sure to become a collector's item.