All About Our Upcoming CD, Septuagint
Fri., Jul. 28. 2023 1:48pm EDT
Our 70th CD, Septuagint, has been at the manufacturer for a couple weeks already and should be in stock by August 8. We'll begin shipping shortly thereafter. In the meantime, we plan to start taking orders at the end of this weekend, and we'll offer our usual "buy one get one" special.
The Septuagint (often referred to as the LXX) was the first official translation of the Bible into another language. At the time (the third and second centuries B.C.), all that existed was the Hebrew Old Testament.
After conquests made by Alexander the Great (336–323 B.C.), Greece ruled much of the known world, including the Holy Land. Alexander's successors strongly encouraged the peoples they ruled over to speak Greek, and by the second and first centuries B.C., it was the primary language of most people in Israel.
Consequently, a need arose to translate the Scriptures into a language everyone could read. It has traditionally been believed that 70 (or 72 — six each from the 12 tribes of Israel) Jewish scholars worked together to make that translation, which is why it's called the Septuagint (from the Latin word for 70).
This album is also called Septuagint, because it's our 70th CD and all of the songs it spoofs are from the '70s, including at least one song from every year from 1970–79, and three from '72. See what we did there? In ApologetiX, we think of music as a language, too, and ourselves as Bible interpreters.
Though the ancient Greeks were pagans, that didn't stop the Jewish scholars from translating the Old Testament into Greek, or the authors of the New Testament from writing it in Greek. Like them, our goal is to reach as many people as possible with God's Word, and we trust that won't get lost in the translation.
Here's a complete track listing:
1. Septuagint - Do It Again - Steely Dan
2. Yonder Island - Thunder Island - Jay Ferguson
3. Violent Girl - Island Girl - Elton John
4. Humble or You'll Stumble - Bungle in the Jungle - Jethro Tull
5. Sad Today in the Dark - Saturday in the Park - Chicago
6. Ask God - Let's Go - The Cars
7. 30 Days in a Row - 30 Days in the Hole - Humble Pie
8. Itchin' to Hide - Hitchin' a Ride - Vanity Fare
9. Sadducees - Can't You See - The Marshall Tucker Band
10. I Rewrite the Songs - I Write the Songs - Barry Manilow
11. Abraham Amazed - Maybe I'm Amazed - Paul McCartney & Wings
12. Riders from the Lord - Riders on the Storm - The Doors